Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Today, I want to help strengthen your faith. Maybe you are going through a storm and have been looking for an answer. Maybe everything is going great in your life. Whether your life is peaceful or chaotic, you need faith. It’s so easy to get distracted by circumstances and negativity. The world wants you to believe that things won’t change for the better. I refuse to believe this. My faith teaches me not to. It was during my daily devotional that I read Hebrews 11. The topic of this chapter is faith. I want to share with you 5 lessons on faith from this chapter.
1. Lack of faith is disobedience. Hebrews 11:6 tells us that we please God through our faith. Unbelief or lack of faith is not pleasing to God. When God puts it in your spirit to do something, do it. Follow His will and he will unveil His promises to you.
2. Faith is a commitment. In Hebrews 11:5-30 we are given several examples of people in the bible who walked by faith. From bible stories that we are familiar with including, David and Goliath, Noah and the Arc, and Moses and the pharaoh, we know that these men and women had strong faith to follow the will of God. Abraham is a prime example of what it means to faithfully commit oneself to God. He was tested many times, and he completed each test because of his strong faith. When things got bad, Abraham held onto the promises of God. This is what you must do. Have faith in all circumstances.
3. Faith is Action. Every character in the bible had to do something in order to get what God promised them. This is where the popular saying, “Take a leap of faith” came from. God will oftentimes require you to take some action to receive the promise. Your breakthrough is in your action.
4. Faith means complete confidence in God’s existence. In order to have faith, you must believe that God exists. How could one have faith and not believe in the God who gave them that faith? You have to also believe that God will give you what He promised.
Hebrews 11:6 (NIV)
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
5. With faith you can overcome anything. There are several verses in the bible about faith. Your faith in God gives you the victory. Your faith unlocks blessings. This is why you win. Faith allows you to do what others said was impossible. It gives you the power to defeat the opposition.
Hebrews 11:33-34 (NLV)
33 It was because these people had faith that they won wars over other countries. They were good leaders. They received what God promised to them. They closed the mouths of lions 34 and stopped fire that was burning. They got away from being killed with swords. They were made strong again after they had been weak and sick. They were strong in war. They made fighting men from other countries run home.
I could go on and on about faith. There are countless examples in the bible that reiterate the importance of faith. If your faith is weak, it’s time to build it back up. Start by reading Hebrews 11:1 daily. This verse is the definition of faith. Never stop believing in God’s promises. He will fulfill them in due time.